Provide local students with relevant experience through our High School Student Welding Internship program.
High School Student Welding Internship Program
Become a Business Intern Host
The YES! High School Student Welding Internship program is an initiative of Workforce Solutions for the Heart of Texas and Waco ISD’s Greater Waco Advanced Manufacturing Academy (GWAMA). The goal of the program is to provide GWAMA students with a paid internship at a local business. An internship is a structured, time-limited career preparation activity that places the Student Intern at a worksite to gain experience in a certain profession.
Why Host a Student Intern?
As a Business Intern Host, you would benefit from:
- Providing a Junior or Senior GWAMA student an opportunity to train with your company and gain workplace skills through hands-on experience
- Utilizing the internship as an inexpensive recruiting tool
- Engaging with local educators and school districts
- Providing your company with a highly visible community engagement activity
What is required?
As a Business Intern Host, you would be agreeing to:
- Attend the Meet and Greet Orientation for Business Host and Student Intern Tuesday, January 18, at 10 am at the Waco ISD Greater Waco Advanced Manufacturing Academy (GWAMA) at 2401 J J Flewellen Rd in Waco. Once you complete the online application, you will receive additional information about the Meet and Greet Orientation.
- Host a High School Junior or Senior Welding Student in Spring 2022 for 14 weeks at 8 hours/week.
- Identify a point of contact for Student Intern.
- Complete the Business Intern Host Evaluation of the Internship Program.
What is the Liability? Insurance? Benefits?
Student stipends, worker’s compensation, and liability insurance are covered by Waco ISD and through a grant from the Texas Workforce Commission. There is no cost to the Business Intern Host.