Enrich classroom experiences for your students!
Teacher Summer Externship
The YES! Teacher Summer Externship is an initiative of Workforce Solutions for the Heart of Texas that provides high school educators’ professional development opportunities to enrich the classroom to career connections made for students.
High School educators spend time with businesses in various industries to learn through direct job site experiences about how classroom content and learning strategies are applied in the workplace and to bring relevance to student learning.
The teachers gain insights into both the technical and essential skills required in the workplace and integrate these insights into their teaching plans and classroom management to better prepare students for future careers. The five-day externship experience consists of an orientation, three days of teachers on-site with the businesses, and a final presentation day.
What does the externship consist of?
The YES! Teacher Externship is a five-day externship experience that consists of an orientation, three days of teachers on-site with business hosts, and a final presentation day. Workforce Solutions for the Heart of Texas secures each business externship host for participating teachers. High school teachers who participate must agree to complete the following activities:
- June 10: Provide documentation by Thursday, June 10
- June 21: Participate in the Externship Orientation and the Meet & Greet with the Business Externship Host
- June 21-June 25: Participate in the Teacher Externship
- June 25: Submit lesson plan
Is there compensation?
Yes, the YES! Teacher Externship is a paid externship that is funded by grant funds that were awarded to Workforce Solutions for the Heart of Texas by the Texas Workforce Commission. Compensation is as follows:
- Participate in the one-week Externship – $700 (June 21-25, 2021)
- Develop and submit Lesson Plan – $100 (received by June 25, 2021)
Important Dates and Deadlines
- June 10: Provide eligibility documentation to Workforce Solutions for the Heart of Texas. Documentation includes copy of social security card, copy of driver’s license and if male, have registered with Selective Service.
- June 11: Workforce Solutions to provide notification to teachers selected to participate in Teacher Externship.
- June 21: Participation in Externship Orientation and Meet and Greet with Business Externship Host to be held at McLennan County Workforce Solutions Center in Waco.
- June 22-24: Participation in Externship on-site at Business Externship Host’s location.
- June 25: Participation in debriefing, ‘things learned’ discussion, and submission of lesson plan at the McLennan County Workforce Solutions Center in Waco.